09 November 2012

Review: Through To You

Through To You by Emily Hainsworth
Publication date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray


THROUGH TO YOU is a fascinating concept and I am all for a different kind of story and setting, especially in a YA novel. But (There's a but?), the main character kind of ruined it for me.

I didn't like Camden. I'm fine with teen angst, I understand his reasons for emoting, but not when it takes up the entire book and he doesn't change. Also, he doesn't seem like the brightest crayon in the box. Half the time, I wanted to smack him upside his head. It took him forever to figure out things that were happening. A book is not fun for me if I've figured something out chapters before a character and then have to read along as he comes to the incorrect conclusions, even when it was just explained to him. Yes, denial plays a big part in this, but I felt like it was there as a plot device that eventually became annoying. I just couldn't connect with him.

I also couldn't feel the connection that Camden had to Viv. About nine-five percent of the time, when Camden remembered Viv, it was about her body or a moment where they made-out, or a place or thing that reminded him when they made-out. It felt more like obsession and lust than actual romance. At one point, I thought maaaaybe that was the author's intention, but I still don't know. And even if that was the author's intention, why would I want to root for the protagonist, or feel pity for him, if it's not about love? Isn't that the point? It doesn't make sense, which is why I felt, and still feel, really stupid; like I translated his feelings incorrectly. I usually consider myself extremely empathetic (I cried during the movie Elf!!), but I just didn't connect. Who knows, maybe I was right the whole time. I don't know.

In spite of the disconnect I felt with Camden and his relationships, the book still had me reading until I got to the end. I may have guessed a lot of the twists, but I couldn't really predict some of the choices that would be made. Also, I really was fascinated by the idea of parallel worlds and enjoyed the author's interpretation of them (I'm kind of a quantum physics geek.).

On a side note: Cam's best friend, Mike. What a freaking amazing friend.

2 comments :

  1. haha not the brightest crayone in the box. oh boy. sorry that the main character ruined it for you. i am definitely a character reader and if i don't like or at least find the main character compelling, it ruins it for me. i'll still check this one out though. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. I have read it before. Its so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.