29 April 2012

Llama Llama Hates the Drama

I'm not going to throw in my "two cents" about the drama that has been going on in the book blogging community this week. Others have said all there is to say. What I will say, is that I don't want to belong to a community where I have to choose sides. If I choose to do In My Mailbox, I "support" The Story Siren and people who don't "support" The Story Siren will assume I support plagiarism. If I don't choose to do IMM...well, you get what I'm trying to say.

I started my blog because I wanted to share my opinions on books. I read because it's fun. I post reviews and interact with readers and other bloggers because it's fun. Well, this week, it has turned into something not so fun anymore. For the first time, I've been embarrassed to belong to a community I love to be a part of. I don't want to feel like I have to choose a side in this "war." I just want to blog, dammit, without worrying about who I'll offend.

I'm actually thinking about stopping. I'm thinking about stopping. That kind of freaks me out! I get and understand where the anger is coming from. I'm upset, too. What I don't get, is where the hate and personal attacks belong in all of this. I don't stand for that and refuse to participate in a community that seems to be overrun with it, as shown this week.  I'm almost 28 and I don't want to deal with stuff like this. Bloggers who I used to respect have shown their claws and now I'm frightened of them. I'm a Hufflepuff, guys. ;P Yet there are other bloggers who have treated this whole situation with the maturity it should have been handled with in the first place. I thank and respect these people.

I've had a really difficult week just in my own life, so thinking about quitting is probably overreacting right now. In fact, I know it is. I'm just disappointed that the situation couldn't have been handled better and was reduced to personal attacks and name-calling (I'm referring to both sides, by the way). What happens to those who just want to stay in the middle?

I'm going to go and listen to lots of MIKA to build my spirits. Specifically, We Are Golden and Grace Kelly because they make me want to dance like THIS! Except where the music artist and viewer apparently have an acid trip halfway through...that's just scary. Oh, I may also dance to this one, too.

You caught me. This post was just an excuse to introduce you to MIKA.

P.S. I have closed comments out of fear and due to lack of energy to debate anything.