26 November 2011

Review: Legend

Legend by Marie Lu
Publication Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile / Penguin

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

I think I am going to have to give the title of Best Action Scenes to Marie Lu. LEGEND is a non-stop thrill ride. It will never have a need to be adapted into a movie because it already is one. After I finished the book, I felt like I had finished watching a really good action film and I don't like action films (except Die Hard. Such a great Christmas movie).

I'm a huge fan of dystopians and I really loved the world that Marie Lu created. I also loved the characters. I've never been a huge fan of dual or more narrators, but it worked in LEGEND. I loved being in both of their minds and the chapters flowed into the next one. I was never thrown out of the story.

The book doesn't really add anything new to the genre, but that doesn't matter because it's so enjoyable to read. The reader is left with questions, but that's because it's series and you're supposed to need the next one, right? Doesn't mean I have to like it...

I don't really know what else to add to the review. The book is a quick, fast-paced read and everything just kind of explodes off the page. I had fun!

FADE OUT

2 comments :

  1. I've had some serious misses with dystopian books, so I have been back and forth on this one for months. I like that it's action packed and that might just get me to pick it up. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.