08 October 2011

Review: Variant

By courtesy of the back of the book:

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be a ticket out of his dead-end life. He was wrong. Now he's trapped in a school surrounded by a razor-wire fence, where video cameras monitor his every move - and where breaking the rules equals death. When he stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes that escape may be impossible.

I found Variant to be a fast-paced and exciting dystopian thriller. I would have read it all in one sitting if I could have. In fact, I hated myself every time I had to put it down and I don't think my self-esteem will ever recover. But you know what? It was worth it.

I really really liked Variant (really really??) and I honestly don't know what else to say about it. Robison Wells did a great job on the action and suspense. The atmosphere inside the school had a very "Lord of the Flies" vibe to it and the whole scenario felt realistic, that is, until a certain twist around the middle of the book which I will not name here. And then there was the other twist at the end...Okay, the book was full of turning points and I loved every minute of it. There were a few times I wanted to personally kick some doors down at that school and let the kids free. "BE FREE, MY CHILDREN!" is what I would scream. And then I would hug them and make them call me Aunt Angie.

Regarding the ending, Variant's cliffhanger is either one of the worst cliffhangers ever or one of the best. I felt the exact same way about Bick's ASHES, so if you've read that then you know how I'm feeling right now.

Can't wait for the second in the series! I recommend that you let Variant replace that hole in your heart once you finish The Maze Runner trilogy.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.