23 October 2011

Review: Sweet Venom

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster. 

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though. 

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

Sweet Venom reminds me of a first act of a screenplay (this is where my TV background comes into play). It is the first 25-30 pages that are supposed to set up the movie and take you into the second act which is where the conflict begins. In the case of Sweet Venom, the first act is one book and it's about 350 or so pages long. And you know what? It wasn't boring! Even though the story really starts at the end of the book, I was thoroughly entertained.

The triplets have very distinct personalities and I liked that if I forgot to read the name of the narrator at the beginning of each chapter, I was still able to tell who was speaking. The writing is fun. The romances are tame (and still fun!) with a lot of room for growth. I liked this too, as the couples didn't immediately "fall into bed" with each other (pardon my risqué term, I'm feeling spicy).

It was a quick and enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to the next one! Hopefully it comes out tomorrow, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.