03 October 2011

Review: Madapple

Synopsis provided by Goodreads:

The secrets of the past meet the shocks of the present. Aslaug is an unusual young woman. Her mother has brought her up in near isolation, teaching her about plants and nature and language—but not about life. Especially not how she came to have her own life, and who her father might be. When Aslaug’s mother dies unexpectedly, everything changes. For Aslaug is a suspect in her mother’s death. And the more her story unravels, the more questions unfold. About the nature of Aslaug’s birth. About what she should do next. About whether divine miracles have truly happened. And whether, when all other explanations are impossible, they might still happen this very day. Addictive, thought-provoking, and shocking, Madapple is a page-turning exploration of human nature and divine intervention-and of the darkest corners of the human soul.

This here's a thinkin' book. Seriously, I've been thinking about it since I finished it. And that wasn't a few minutes ago.

Firstly, I don't know what genre to put Madapple in. It's in its own category that I have named "disturbing-not really YA-makes you feel not warm and fuzzy inside" genre. I know one thing, this book is going to be a hard sell at my store. It deals with many, if not all, taboo issues and is not for everyone (i.e. probably a lot of people).

I don't even know if I can find the words to review it. I can tell you that Madapple is incredibly thought out, was immensely researched, and the characterizations are incredible. But, it's not a book you close after finishing and say to yourself  "I really enjoyed that!" It's more a book where, after, you can't think of anything to say, your mind becomes a bit numb, and you end up staring at the nearest wall for 10 minutes. But not in a bad way.  ;)

To sound hypocritical with what I just said, it was an amazing book. I do think it slowed down a bit in the middle. Luckily, it eventually picks up again and when it does, hang on because it gets CRAZY and in a good way, if you like feeling uncomfortable. If you are not easily offended and aren't looking for a feel-good story, then I would give this a try. It's a smart book; a thinking book.

I'm off to my bookshelf to find a happy novel now. I need some happy.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.