21 August 2011

Review: The Scorpio Races

I'm going to be straight with you and say I'm not the biggest fan of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver trilogy. I think it's good, I can see where the appeal comes from and I still hand-sell the books at the bookstore, but I guess the series just isn't for me. I do like her fairy series, though...anyway:

You: But Angie, why are you telling me this? Does this have a point? Did you not like The Scorpio Races?

Hells yeah I liked The Scorpio Races! I loved The Scorpio Races. Late at night and during lunch time, I may even think about having its babies. My point is: if you just so happen to not be into the Shiver series, please PLEASE don't consider not buying this book when it comes out. Sometimes, if a person does not like a book, he/she tends to not pick up others by the same author and I don't want this to be you. I want as many people to read The Scorpio Races as possible. I'm not going to write a synopsis because you can find one anywhere (like here) and I just want to talk about the book.

Who knew a book with carnivorous water horses could be so awesome? I love the fact that she made a myth into a story that seems so real and I was only able to put it down when I was forced to go to work. Her characters are well built with distinct personalities; when I hated a character, I hated a character and when I loved a character, I loved a character (welcome Sean Kendrick to my collection of literary crushes). There's an author's note from Maggie where she mentions that the subjects of the story aren't the water horses at all and I agree. This book is about the two wonderfully drawn out main characters and the way these horses affect their lives. It's heartbreaking, humorous, frustrating, anxiety-making, etc. Maggie will make you feel every emotion imaginable, unless you don't have a heart, but that would just mean you're dead, right? And dead people can't read.

I didn't mean for this review to become a post of "squee" and for that I apologize. I guess I just don't have any other way to express my love right now. Check out the book when it's released; I promise it will be worth it.

2 comments :

  1. I am soo jealous that you have reade this already! I can't wait for this to come out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the ONLY one who was not head over heels (or paws) for the Shiver series. I've got to tell you, I am not a big fan of horse stories either (too much Black Stallion as a kid), but your review has made me change my mind. At least I promise to pick it up and look at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.